Sunday, March 1, 2009

To Flop, or Not to Flop...Irish Lose Close One

In my previous post, I thought there is nothing worse for an Irish fan than considering their road ahead. I was wrong. There is something much worse. That is watching a University of Connecticut home game. There is not much more detestable a place in the league. I’m not talking about the facilities; I’ve never been. Nor have I been to Storrs, CT. I’m talking about the all out ridiculousness UConn gets away with.

I know what the thoughts will be, “Of course, Irish lose and you scream ‘bad officiating’.” That’s probably a valid point in most cases. For the sake of argument though, I’ll try to pry the homer goggles off for a second and break down a couple of points.

First, are the calls and non-calls. When viewing a game, it’s natural to believe your team is getting the shaft, I know I always do. But I’ll just look at the statistics first. UConn had 13 blocked shots...13! Okay, I get it, they have a 7 footer, who’s a blocker. But my problem is 13 blocked shots with 7 personal fouls. Seven personal fouls, in 40 minutes, that’s unheard of in most games. The commentators stated they don’t have to commit fouls because they know they can block shots. What a bunch of bollocks! The fact is, I’d say 50% of those, were legit blocked shots, heck, I’ll give them 60%, which would put them right around their average. But I will not accept the fact they have they have the second best blocks per game average and near, if not at, the top of the list for least penalized. I throw the BS flag on that.

My second beef is with Thabeet. His antics in the last minute were the most revolting thing I’ve seen all season. While it may be legal, it’s dirty. The NCAA should take a hard look at the rule, or lack there of. To flop, sit out, and let an 80% free throw shooter take the shots... Calhoun and your 800 wins, shove it! I have zero respect for you and that call. In a moment where those free throws basically locked up your victory. To call it unsportsmanlike is an insult to unsportsmanlike! Calhoun and Thabeet, shame on you both.

And that’s all I have to say about that.
GO IRISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment